J. Tyler Slavey
Attorney – Member
J. Tyler Slavey grew up in Princeton, West Virginia. He graduated Magna Cum Laude with a B.A. degree in Political Science from West Virginia University in 2005. Tyler received his Juris Doctorate from West Virginia University in 2008, and was admitted to the Bar shortly after graduation.
After finishing law school, Tyler clerked for the Honorable James A. Matish in Harrison County, West Virginia. Tyler has also previously practiced law with Romano Law Office, in Clarksburg, West Virginia, and with Brewer and Giggenbach, PLLC, in Morgantown, West Virginia. Tyler focuses his practice mainly in the areas of plaintiff’s personal injury law, including motor vehicle accidents, workplace injuries, medical malpractice, and other serious injuries, commercial law, general civil law, and criminal defense law.
Tyler has represented clients regarding a number of complex issues. Tyler has appeared in numerous Circuit Courts in West Virginia, and in Federal Court in West Virginia, and he has tried multiple cases to verdict. Tyler has also represented clients at the administrative level, including matters involving the West Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Administration. Tyler has also represented a number of West Virginia University students in expulsion proceedings before the Office of Student Conduct.
Tyler currently resides in Morgantown, with his wife, Megan, an elementary school teacher, and their sons, Jackson and Miles. Tyler is an avid sports fan and attends many West Virginia University sporting events. Tyler is actively involved in youth sports as a coach for youth soccer and basketball. Tyler is a board member of the Morningside Estates Homeowners Association. In his spare time, Tyler enjoys hiking, biking, reading, and spending time with his family.
Contact Tyler today to schedule a meeting to discuss any personal injury, commercial, or criminal matters.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- West Virginia, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia University College of Law, Morgantown, West Virginia
- J.D. – 2008
- West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia
- B.A. magna cum laude – 2005
- Major: Political Science
- Small v. Ramsey, 2010 WL 4394084 (N.D.W.Va., 2010)
- State ex rel. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Bedell, 226 W.Va. 138, 697 S.E.2d 730 (W.Va., 2010)
- State ex rel. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Bedell, 719 S.E.2d 722 (W.Va.,2011)
- Small v. Ramsey, 2011 WL 1044659 (N.D.W.Va., 2011)
- Ringer v. John, 2012 WL 5205638 (W.Va., 2012); No. 11-1325 (October 22, 2012)
- Ringer v. John, 2013 WL 1395874 (W.Va., 2013)
- McCloy v. Larew, 2013 WL 1962314 (N.D.W.Va., 2013)
- Marrara v. Ripley Assocs., LLC, 233 W. Va. 102, 755 S.E.2d 120 (2014)
- State v. Frank S., W. Va. 761, 783 S.E. 2d 881 (2016)
- Mangus Coal Co. v. Jennings, No. 16-0199, 2016 WL 6820762 (W. Va. Nov. 18, 2016)
- W. Virginia Lottery v. A-1 Amusement, Inc., 240 W. Va. 89, 807 S.E.2d 760 (2017)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- West Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Star 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- West Virginia State Bar Association, Member, 2008 – Present
- West Virginia Association for Justice, Member, 2009 – Present
- Monongalia County Bar Association, Member, Member, 2011 – Present
- Harrison County Bar Association, Member, Member, 2008 – 2011
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Brewer & Giggenbach PLLC, Morgantown, West Virginia, Associate Attorney, 2011-2019
- Romano Law Office, Clarksburg, West Virginia, Associate Attorney, 2009 – 2011
- West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, Judicial Law Clerk, 2008 – 2009
- Honorable James A. Matish in Harrison County, West Virginia, Clerk